If the situation arises where the analysis of a number of combined codes from different variables is required, then merging codes is the solution.
1. Click the Create variables (multi codes) icon on the toolbar.
2. Select a variable from the variable list on the left-hand side. The variable's codes will appear in the variable codes window.
3. Select the relevant codes from that list and click the Add button to add them to the construction area window.
4. Select another variable from the variable list and then select the same number of codes from the variable codes window. Click the Merge button. The list of merged codes will appear together in the construction area window.
5. Click the Write variable button to complete the action.